Discover the World Travel Shop Privacy Statement
Your privacy is very important to Discover Destinations Pty Ltd (trading as Discover the World (DTW) incorporating Discover Travel Shop), and we are committed to respecting your privacy. In providing our service to you, we must collect personal information from you and this policy outlines how we treat your personal data after it has been collected by any of our channels which include our website, call centre and any future digital services or channels as they evolve.
What information will we collect?
We may collect all or some of the following information relating to you or other members of your party:
- names and contact/address details including telephone number and email address;
- credit/ debit card or other payment details (including card number, cardholder name, expiry date);
- special requirements such as those relating to any disability or medical condition which may affect the chosen arrangements;
- dietary restrictions (which may disclose your religious beliefs).
You are responsible for ensuring that other members of your party are aware of the content of this Policy and consent to your acting on their behalf in all your dealings with us.
Some of the information we collect (such as about health or religion) may be considered “special personal information” under the Protection of Personal Information Act No. 4 of 2013 (which has been signed into law but not yet come into force). We collect it only to cater to your needs or act in your interest, and we are only prepared to accept special personal information data from you on the condition that we have your positive consent. We will seek this consent when necessary.
How will we collect this information?
- When you enquire about a product or service offered by or available through us;
- When you purchase a product or service from or through us;
- When you subscribe to our newsletter;
- When you speak to any of our team;
- When you complete a survey or enter a competition;
- We will only collect personal information from you by specifically asking for it:
What will we do with it?
- We will use your name, address and credit card details to complete your booking with us. You can choose not to provide us with some of the information we request, however as a result we may not be able to complete your arrangements.
- We will also use your details to manage your arrangements, send you notifications and communicate with you generally.
- For the purpose of completing your booking, we may have to disclose some of your information to the providers of the services making up your arrangements (who could be located outside South Africa). We may also have to disclose some information to third parties in relation to customer services, credit card processing, or other services.
- We may need to disclose your information where required by law, where such a request is made by a legal authority.
- We may need to disclose our customer list including any personal information relating to you to a third party who acquires or attempts to acquire all or substantially all of the asset/stock in our company or our website.
- We may also disclose information to organisations who act as “data processors” on our behalf, or to other organisations that perform business functions on our behalf, some of whom are outside South Africa. These functions include administration, providing services (and contacting you when necessary), customer care, business management and operation, re-organisation/structuring/sale of our business (or our group companies), risk assessment, security and crime prevention/detection, research and analysis, marketing, monitoring, measuring and assessing customer purchasing preferences and trends, dispute resolution, credit checking and debt collection. The “data processors” will only process your personal information with our knowledge and/or authorisation and will treat your personal information as confidential and shall not be allowed to disclose it unless required by law or in the proper performance of their duties. In addition, we shall ensure that the “data processors” have the same security measures in place as we do in order to protect your personal information.
- We may from time to time contact you with information about special offers, brochures, new products, forthcoming events or competitions. If you do not wish to receive such information, you may ask us in writing not to receive it.
- We would also like to store and use your personal details for future marketing purposes (for example, emailing you our newsletter). All details you give us in connection with your booking will be kept but we will use only names and contact details for marketing purposes unless you have indicated that you do not wish us to do so.
- We have taken all reasonable steps to have appropriate security measures in place to protect your information.
What can I do?
If you do not agree to our use of the information as set out above, you should inform us as soon as possible by writing to us at Discover the World, Unit 21 Glen Douglas, cnr. Douglas Drive & Joseph Crescent, Douglasdale, 2021, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may ask us in writing after providing us with adequate proof of your identity for a copy of the information we hold about you (for which we may charge an administration fee) and to correct any inaccuracies in your information. You may also ask us in writing to delete or destroy a record of your personal information if we are no longer authorised to retain this information. We aim to respond to you within 21 days from the date of request.
Subscribers can opt out of receiving further information from us at any time. You will also be given a fast and easy option of opting out on all communications. Email us at email@example.com to unsubscribe.
Protecting your information
We take website security very seriously and we are committed to safeguarding your personal information. We take a number of administrative and technical steps to ensure the security of the information you provide to us to prevent the loss of, damage to or unauthorised destruction of your personal information and unlawful access to or the processing of your personal information. The transmission of information via the internet is, however, never completely secure. We exclude our liability for personal data lost in transmission to the website.
Please note that our website contains certain literature and hyperlinks to websites owned by third parties. This privacy statement covers websites owned and controlled by us only. Links to other websites and any information collected by these sites are not covered by this privacy statement.
To ensure that we carry out your instructions accurately, to help improve our service and in the interest of security, we monitor and record:
- your telephone calls; and
- customer transactions and activities on our website.
All recordings are and shall remain our sole property.
Updates and Changes
As our privacy statement may change due to developments in the law we encourage you to re-read this from time to time so you are aware of any changes in how we gather and use your personal information. Any changes to this Policy will be either posted on our website, brochure and/or made available on request.
Last Updated: December 2016
Our team is at your service to help you
011 463 5251
Or send us an email